Friday 20 July 2007

Indian male seeking lesbian for MOC

Typical headlines: Hindu male seeks Hindu lesbian for MOC, lesbian muslim looking for gay muslim, sikh gay girl looking for sikh gay guy for marriage of convenience, hindu/punjabi looking for MOC...

The variations go on forever and extend beyond the South Asian community. And not all MOC's involve gay people. In fact, it seems as though most relate to those looking for a green card and are willing to pay their future spouse for their help. But if you scour the internet, you will find many gay and lesbian Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Christians etc searching for potential partners. What does this say about society and how unaccepting it is? What does this say about how gay people, namely South Asians, are forced to stay in the closet and search for an MOC as a 'way out'? What does this say about myself and my inability to tell my family the truth?

I am proud of who I am, but I'm too much of a coward to tell my family the truth. I don't know if they will disown me or accept me, I sincerely hope it's the latter. But what if it is? Will I ever find out someday?