Friday 20 July 2007

My Girlfriend - What does she think of my MOC?

My girlfriend is not South Asian, so she doesn't really understand the importance of marriage in my culture. However, she initially thought it was a perfect solution to my dilemma and supported me when I told her that I was thinking of doing an MOC with a gay Indian. She encouraged me to look for someone asap and offered to help look. Unfortunately, I felt she was quick to pick just any gay guy off the net. She believed there was not much of a selection and we were running out of time. She wanted it done fast so that we could be together much faster.

I was frustrated with her inability to understand that muslims are not sikhs, and sikhs are not hindus. Alright, she knew that much, but she didn't understand how much background South Asian parents look into and how many things have to match up. For example, my parents would not agree to me marrying a muslim, even if he were Indian. It would have defeated the purpose if I married out of religion/caste because it would have similar consequences to me coming out of the closet! Well, maybe...

Now my girlfriend is not satisfied with the MOC because we aren't seeing each other as much as we thought we would. This is due to issues with my 'husband', but I will get into detail in another article...